SONAR Systems Engineer - Bluefin Robotics, Quincy MA
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran.
Bachelor's degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
- Performs SONAR requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (elements and components)
- Researches and analyzes data, such as vendor products, COTS components, GFE/CFE, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
- Designs systems and subsystem architectures that support system and subsystem level implementation
- Performs modelling and evaluation of SONAR performance
- Analyzes acoustic data
- Develops and conducts tests for verification and validation of SONAR requirements
- Manages subcontractors and vendors/suppliers through design, implementation, testing, and sell-off
- Manages and characterizes technical and program risk as it relates to the SONAR subsystem
- Presents technical and program information to internal stakeholders and external customers
- May provide leadership and/or direction to lower level employees
- Independently determines proposed approach to solutions
- Works under limited direction
- Maintains clear, honest and open communications with both internal and external stakeholders/customers
- Hands on systems integration, test, and troubleshooting (simulated, benchtop, and at-sea)
- Some travel may be required
- Some off-shore testing may be required
Experience and Qualifications:
- Technical expertise and recognized technical leader (subject matter expert) in the field of SONAR
- Strong background in analog and digital electrical hardware design and development
- Strong understanding of control systems
- Proficiency in signal and image processing
- Exposure to artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Experience integrating SONAR systems with SWaP requirements
- Experience with analysis toolsets such as MATLAB
- Demonstrated technical leadership
- Highly proficient ability to grasp and apply new information quickly and effectively handle complex assignments
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes work scope on projects with little direction
- Highly proficient ability in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions to internal and external customers
Position and Location:
This is a full-time position located in Quincy, Massachusetts.
SONAR Systems Engineer - Bluefin Robotics