Full Stack Software Engineer Washington DC
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran.
Bachelor's degree in software engineering or a related technical field is required (or equivalent experience), plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government background investigation and must meet eligibility and suitability requirements. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Help make the technologies, products and services that make a difference. That's the opportunity that's waiting for you at General Dynamics Mission Systems. We help our nation's heroes keep our nation safe by creating solutions so advanced, they redefine innovation for the world. It's an amazing challenge. And it's waiting for you now.
This challenging and interesting software development position is a chance to participate in the development and operation of a state-of-the-art Big Data system and join a longstanding, stable program consisting of a team of exceptional individuals using defined Agile software principles and practices.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll perform software requirements analysis, participate in research and design, and develop and test software and tools. From inventing new products or enhancing existing applications, your talent will be front and center.
What you'll experience:
- Design and develop new features and capabilities for several existing web applications
- Evaluate and implement changes and/or enhancements to existing applications and determine the feasibility, benefits, and risks
- Evaluate emerging technologies and apply best of breed technologies to the operational system
What you bring to the table:
- Proficient understanding of software engineering concepts, principles, and theories
- An understanding of object-oriented and functional programming, design patterns, data structures, and algorithms
- A passion for developing well-crafted and testable software, in a collaborative environment
- Strong attention to detail
Ideally, you will also have experience with:
- Test-Driven development and experience with test frameworks (e.g., Chai, Enzyme, Jest, Sinon)
- Ruby Development
- Modern C++
- Scripting languages such tcsh or bash
- Apache web server
- Very Large Databases/Big Data/Data Warehousing
- Multi-thread and multi-process applications
- Continuous Integration and Deployment tools and techniques
What sets you apart:
- Ability to interact effectively with project teams, managers and end users
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
- Solid ability to grasp and apply new information quickly and handle increasing responsibilities with growing complexity
- Creative and innovative thinking with the ability to multi-task