DPME - Senior Advanced Systems Engineer, Marion VA
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran
Bachelor's degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
[Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred at time of hire.] Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Lead Systems Engineer/Deputy Program Manager Engineering (DPME). This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation's core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
The Systems Lead/DPME is responsible for the overall technical execution, including the cost and schedule management of the technical team. The Systems Lead/DPME position is similar to an Integrated Product Team (IPT) lead or a Program Technical Manager (PTM). In this position, the candidate is required to support several projects and create consensus among the engineering technical team, the customer team, and the program manager.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Plans, authorizes, and monitors the engineering work (including providing strong leadership to ensure all events occur as planned)
- Oversees performance, cost, scope and schedule for all engineering efforts (including efforts that are subcontracted)
- Provides technical leadership and management
- Ensures all project deliverables (including documentation) are developed with high quality and delivered on time
- Develops and maintains engineering plans as required by the project
- Ensures that all engineering processes to be used adhere to established engineering practices
- Manages engineering resources, organizational interfaces, and engineering scope
- Manages the engineering related risks and opportunities of the project
- Identifies, develops, analyzes, and reports engineering project measures
- Conducts monthly engineering status reviews and provides material for the monthly program reviews
- Serves as the engineering proposal manager and prepares and presents engineering cost reviews
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Technical leadership experience with 10-20 member teams
- Must possess excellent oral presentations skills
- Be able to maintain the engineering team's focus on budget, schedule, and technical execution
- Good communication skills, writing skills, and teamwork skills are required
- Available to travel
- Be proficient in the use of collaboration tools to support the distributed nature of the work
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated planning and organization skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of tools including Microsoft Project
- Demonstrated ability to communicate issues, impacts, and corrective actions
- Project management experience on aerospace & defense projects
- PMP Certification
- Demonstrated ability to understand and apply project leadership principles including SPI/CPI, Earned Value, Cost Account Management (CAM), and Statistical Process Controls for large complex programs. Please click on Contact page if you are interested for this opportunity.