Advanced Systems Engineer - Bluefin Robotics, Quincy MA
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran.
Bachelor's degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense SECRET security clearance is preferred at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Bluefin Robotics is seeking an Advanced Systems Engineer to support development, production, and sustainment for Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (UUV) programs. Candidates should have subsea domain technical expertise and/or proven experience of strong contributions to systems engineering teams. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation's core defense systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
- Understands and applies disciplined systems engineering processes for entire program life cycle: system concept of operations, requirements derivation/management, design, unit test, integration, system test, verification, and validation of subsystems and systems
- Performs requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (elements and components)
- Performs detailed technical analyses for a subsystem or systems
- Researches and analyzes data, such as vendor products, COTS components, GFE/CFE, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
- May provide leadership and/or direction to lower level employees
- Independently determines proposed approach to solutions
- Contributes to the completion of major programs and projects
- Works under limited direction
- Maintains clear, honest and open communications with both internal and external stakeholders/customers
- Provides resolution to a diverse range of complex problems
- Independently determines approach to solutions
- Works with mechanical, electrical, software, marine operations, and manufacturing engineers to develop and produce systems
- Hands on systems integration, test, and troubleshooting (simulated, benchtop, and at-sea)
- Travel may be required
- Off-shore testing may be required
Experience and Qualifications:
- Highly proficient ability to grasp and apply new information quickly and effectively handle complex assignments
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes scope of work with little direction or oversight
- Experience in one or more of the following technical areas: naval architecture, SONAR systems, analog and digital electrical hardware design and development, control systems & autonomy, signal and image processing, artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Highly proficient ability communicating issues, impacts, and corrective action resolutions
- Knowledge/experience in Unmanned Underwater Vehicle domain
- Undersea system integration and test
- Undersea hardware/software requirements
- Requirements analysis and verification
- Experience with MATLAB or similar data analysis software tools
- Experience with SysML and Model Based Systems Engineering is preferred
Position and Location:
This is a full-time position located in Quincy, Massachusetts.
Advanced Systems Engineer - Bluefin Robotics